The Elyne Mitchell Writing Award commemorates the celebrated author of the Silver Brumby’s life and work, and has been established to encourage all writers to focus their stories on the Australian rural landscape.
Up to 2500 words referencing an Australasian rural experience
2017 Theme: ‘Local Stories, People, Places and Events’
Fiction or Non-Fiction
- Open Category – $15 per entry- 1 x $1000 prize money
- Upper Murray Writers Category – $10 per entry – Open to residents of Towong, Tumbarumba and Indigo Shires – 1 x $500 prize money
- Non fiction “bonus” $100 Dymocks Voucher
Closing date for entries: 5.00pm Thursday 24th August 2017
Shortlist Announced: 2nd October, 2017 Winners announced: TBC
See below for entry requirements, terms & conditions. For further information contact the CNC on 02 6076 2176 or email@example.com
You can download the PDF Entry form HERE
Terms and Conditions:
- All entries must have a specific reference to an Australasian rural experience. Entries may be fiction or non‐fiction.
- 2017 includes a “bonus” prize for the best non‐ fiction entry (Open or Local) – a $100 Dymocks voucher
- Entries must not exceed 2,500 words
- There is no limit to the number of entries perperson, however every entry attracts a non‐ refundable fee ‐ $15 for Open category, $10 for Upper Murray category. The same story may be entered in more than one category provided it meets the guidelines for that category, an entry fee is paid and entry details provided for each entry in each category.
- Entry details as listed must be supplied in the body of the email in which the entry is submitted.
- All entries must be submitted electronically in .pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entries will be acknowledged by return email. We strongly recommend that entry emails are sent with a “read receipt” to ensure receipt of submission.
- Entries must be the entrant’s original work, in English, unpublished, and not have been acknowledged in any other competitions.
- Entries should not be entered in any other competition during the submission and judging dates for this award.
- The author’s name must not appear on any page within the story itself.
- The front page of the story should contain the title that matches the title on the Entry Form, and include the Word Count, but not the author’s name.
- Once an entry is submitted, the submission is final. The entry may not be withdrawn nor any alterations made.
- Shortlisted authors will be required to submit a Word version of their entry and a brief biography and photo for use in publications relating to this Award. Text & font will be standardized for publication.
- No responsibility will be taken for entries and entries will not be returned.
- Late entries and/or those in breach of the entry conditions will be excluded.
- All entrants retain the copyright of their work, but submission, bios and photographs may be published or used in promotional material, either online or in print by the Corryong Neighbourhood Centre or the Elyne Mitchell Writing Award.
- Judging will be undertaken by a process determined by the Award organisers, by a panel of judges who will remain anonymous. All results are final and binding.
- A shortlist of entries will be decided by the Award organisers based on judging results.
How to Submit your entry:
Submit your entry (up to 2500 words) in double spaced .pdf format attachment by email to email@example.com with details as below in the covering email.
Entries Close 5pm, 24 August, 2017
ENTRY DETAILS to be included with covering email:
- Author’s Name
- Title of Entry
- Word Count
- Postal address
- Contact Email (if different from submission email)
- Telephone Number
- Fiction or Non Fiction
- Category – Open ($15) , Upper Murray ($10) or both ($25)
- Method of payment ‐ EFT (date) or chq (chq no.) & amount paid
In submitting your entry, you affirm that you are the author of the submitted work, that all details are correct and that you have read and agree to the Terms and Conditions of Entry.
Payment for entries can be made in one of the following ways:
1. By cheque:
- Posted to c/- CNC 39 Hanson St, Corryong Vic 3707
- Please include a copy of the covering email sent with your entry with your cheque
2. By electronic funds transfer (eft or internet banking)
- BSB: 803070 (WAW)
- Acct: 100096205
- Acct: CNC
- Bank: WAW Credit Union
- Please use your surname as the reference
You can download the PDF Entry form HERE
We have a wide range of judges each year from across the Upper Murray and beyond and from a variety of backgrounds and experience. We prefer to keep their identities anonymous.